Thursday, April 5, 2012

cozy kitchens

I have a tiny, cozy, little kitchen. It is a kitchen built for one, although it is often occupied by me, my hubby and the three cats simultaneously.When we were deciding whether or not to rent our place, I listed the minute size of the kitchen in the "cons" side. But it has proven to be one of my favorite rooms in the house, proving to me that bigger isn't always better.

My little kitchen fulfills its kitchenly duties just fine. Some of that is thanks to the walk in pantry on the other side of the hall and the large built in china cabinet in our dining room- both spaces take on a lot of what would have otherwise been stored in the kitchen. There is counter space enough to leave out our dish drying rack, pitcher of cooking utensils , compost can, and knife block, leaving at least a square foot or two for food prep (it is a little funny to watch Matt relieve a pineapple of its spikes and core in this confined space).  Also, my tiny kitchen has charm and character; high ceilings, old-timey tile and wood cabinets from the turn of the century. And everyone is more accepting of tiny things if they are full of character, case in point... Danny Devito.

And most important of all,  right over my kitchen sink is a great big window, which is hands down my favorite place for a great big window. It lets in all kinds of light and makes washing dishes a more thoughtful and imaginative project.

So, you want to see this tiny, amazing kitchen? Too bad. I could not photograph it. I tried. I stood on chairs. I laid on the floor. I even climbed on top of the fridge and could not find an angle that would capture this tiny kitchen in one sweet little shot. I will continue to try (maybe bust out the tripod). In the meantime I will share with you a collection of other tiny kitchens (and a couple not so tiny) that look ready to greet you with a cozy embrace as soon as you set foot inside.

source






source

source

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for removing your comment Suzie, but the link was corrupted and I didn't want any other readers to click on it. Thanks for reading, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your happy blog!

    ReplyDelete