Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Bob Ross- Happy clouds and Happy trees

I've had all kinds of ideas for what I wanted to say about Bob Ross in this post. I have erased three or four drafts, because they were not quite right. I was going to include facts about him-- about his soft voice and how once he left the military he "vowed never to scream again". I was going to write about how I'd watch his show upstairs, in my parents room, and wish I had a canvas and a painter's pallette so that I could try to paint one of his serene landscapes along with him... he made it look so easy! But I realized, that none of this explanation is necessary. I imagine anyone who knows who Bob Ross is, already knows what I might write anyway. So instead, I figure I'll let Bob Ross write this post, in his own words, by sharing some of his most happy quotes...


In his own words...

Maybe in our world there lives a happy little tree over there.


The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe.


There’s nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.


Little raccoons and old possums ‘n’ stuff all live up in here. They’ve got to have a little place to sit.


Gotta give him a friend. Like I always say ‘everyone needs a friend’.


People look at me like I’m a little strange, when I go around talking to squirrels and rabbits and stuff. That’s ok. Thaaaat’s just ok.


Clouds are very, very free.


Now then, today let's just have some fun and enjoy it, let our imagination take us to some beautiful places and see what happens.


You do your best work if you do a job that makes you happy.


Exercising the imagination, experimenting with talents, being creative; these things, to me, are truly the windows to your soul.

Trees cover up a multitude of sins.


Talk to the tree, make friends with it.


Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.


Any way you want it to be, that’s just right.



See Bob Ross painting a mountain, tutorial stills or video clip.

Or watch this tribute video. The music sounds like it is straight from a '90s Disney musical, but the images are fantastic. I especially love the tattoos, the etch-a-sketch and what looks like a Bob Ross butter sculpture. 


Thanks for brings us so much Happy, Bob Ross! Happy painting, and God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Bob Ross was a true genius. I'll never forget the time in Oregon - just back home from the emergency room after splitting my arm open - I watched a Joy of Painting marathon. His beautiful art and soothing tone masked my pain for hours.

    ReplyDelete