Monday, January 9, 2012

Simple spicy soup

I don't cook using recipes, so it is hard for me to write one- but this soup is so easy, and I've told a handful of people how to make it already, that it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to share it here. But I warn you now that my measurements are all approximate!


What you'll need:

olive oil
1 onion
couple of garlic cloves
3 medium potatoes (I used yukons)
1 big carrot
3-4 stalks of celery
1/3 head green cabbage
1 can diced tomatoes (I used one with chilis)
1 can black beans
1 can corn
2 veggie bullion cubes
water
ground coriander
mild chili powder
dash of cayenne
bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

In a big pot, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil, add minced garlic and then add chopped veggies- I do them one at a time in the same order as above (onion, potato, carrot, celery...then cabbage). When the veggies are starting to get tender, add the cans of diced tomatoes, corn and black beans and then fill the pot with as much water as you want soup. add spices and seasonings. When the soup starts to simmer, add the bullion cubes. Give it a stir. Cover it. Let it simmer for a while, stirring occasionally and then eat it up when everything is cooked (test the potatoes, when they are done the rest is too!)

Serve with chips and guacamole! Or any other comida mexicana-


No comments:

Post a Comment