Thursday, January 19, 2012

Today is Poe's Day


source

Happy Birthday to Edgar Allan Poe, who would be 203 years old today if he didn't mysteriously die at the age of 40... It's days like today (and only today, really,) that I wish I were in Baltimore, where Poe fans will gather at nightfall around his grave for readings and an honorary processional. We'll have to come up with our own way of celebrating the macabre author... perhaps a late-night reading of Spirits of the Dead and a controversial toast of absinthe.

Read a lovely and thorough biography of the man from the Poe Museum's website. And visit Poe Stories for a online resource of his complete works.  

5 comments:

  1. Once you're here you can go on a terrifying ghost tour of Edinburgh's underground vaults in his honor! Spooky! OoooOOoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm there. Might need a wee dram before I go to build up my liquid courage!

      Delete
  2. Hi Rianne! What a lovely post for Mr. Poe! And I agree with commenter Sabrina, a vault tour (I did it years ago when I studied abroad in Edinburgh and scared myself silly). Also, to make up for not living in Baltimore you can come here and celebrate Burns night instead (next week!) with Ode to the Haggis. I've had vegetarian haggis and it's really quite tasty!
    p.s. Don't worry, there are plenty of places to buy tons of fruit and veg here in Edi. I wrote a long-winded return comment on my blog, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lar! Thanks for your response to my comment on your blog (and awesome blog, by the way). I hope you have a wonderful Burns night! My hubby and I are hosting our own... complete with vegetarian haggis, so you'll have to check back here and see how it went, as I am sure it will get its own post ;)

      Delete