Friday, January 28, 2011

Pear Pie


Grandma used to make pear pie- or cobbler rather. I remember making it with her, usually in a large rectangular pyrex. With pear orchards surrounding Ukiah, there was always some wonderful connection to box fulls of pears each season (My one year working at the pear sheds, I was the connection)

Pear pie is not something you can usually find on the menu at a restaurant or premade at any bakery. Its the sort of thing that if you want it, you gots to make it yourself. So that's what me and my brother did the day after Christmas. Sister-in-law made sure we had all the ingredients, including organic pears, and J supervised, ensuring I didn't forget anything. (Matt just helped with the eating ;)

It wasn't as good as Grandma's... I don't think that's possible. She made it a little different each time, and it always turned out perfect- in that way that only grandmas can. But it was tasty, and it brought back all kinds of sweet memories.

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about pears, and how great they are...and how weird it is that I didn't used to like them. It must be because I too grew up surrounded by pears in Ukiah and probably overloaded on them. I'm loving them now! I make a fabulous carmelized pear upside-down cake - if you want the recipe, let me know!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I do want the recipe. Matt and I just got a big bag of pears from Costco...not quite the same as getting them from home!

    ReplyDelete