Thursday, June 9, 2011

Tawny Frogmouth


A while back I did a post, What a Wonderful World, that shared a lot stunning of photographs, and it inspired me to start a little "series" of posts about how amazing and wonderful the world can be. I hope to feature places, critters, and acts that make the world so weird and lovely and fun.  Starting with this guy!

I had never before heard of a tawny frogmouth owl, but he popped up while I was searching for something else. Are they not one of the greatest birds ever? Look at that mouth! Although I have never seen one in person, I am really happy that I get to live in a world with tawny frogmouths ;)



3 comments:

  1. great photos thanks... I am lucky enough to share my back yard with a number of these fantastic birds, they are truly a sight to see and they make me feel privileged to have them in my life =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello,
    my friend had one of these babies walk in one day a couple of months ago, he had "fur" that looked like lambs wool full of lanolin, and i was wondering how you can tell their age?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! How strange for one to just walk into your place! I don't know how to tell their age, but I have been to a few wildlife and rapture rescue centers and I know that wild birds can often imprint on a human and become dependent- unable to live on their own in the wild. I would have your friend contact a local wildlife rescue to ask about the frogmouths in her area... I hope the little guy is alright! And how special your friend must feel to get to see one so up close and personal!

    ReplyDelete