Sunday, October 21, 2012

Many pictures of Craigmillar Castle

We spent a lovely autumn day at Craigmillar Castle. 


It is a very castle-y castle

with lots of old stone crests



and old bedchambers


that had latrines and closets.


where the roof is gone and the stone is covered in soft green mosses.


we had our run of the place. we climbed down. we climbed up.


up. up. up.


and stood on top of a castle under blue skies. 


we played in the Lord's Hall, where the acoustics were warm and bouncy 


and the windows made the views outside look wavy and old.



Matt played inside the fire place,


and bunnies, loads of bunnies, played in the field outside


it was warm enough to take off our jackets


and clear enough for us to see Edinburgh, 3 miles away


this made us happy, toothy people.


we met the current king of the castle, who has marked many of his favorite territories with his poop.


we discovered back passageways


and official garden markers


and Matt posed for this picture, which is my second favorite picture of the day.


This is not my favorite, but I still like it.


I got a bit mesmerized by the Octoberness of it all. 
Its been a while since I've experienced a proper October, with October air.


my shadow had a fun day too.

 

and here is my favorite picture of my favorite guy from a favorite day...


2 comments:

  1. AHHH! You guys were right next door to my cottage! I LOVE that park and castle. Sounds like you had a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live by this castle? I'm jealous. It's been one of the best places we've visited- we really loved it. And I loved how few people there were (as opposed to, say, Edinburgh Castle). Oh, and the bunnies put on quite a show for us. Those guys can do flips!

      Delete