Monday, August 30, 2010

A Terrarium of my Very Own!

Matthew and I made a terrarium! We started off with a 2 gallon candy jar, layered the bottom with moss, rock, charcoal, more moss, and soil-less soil, and then had fun adding plants, rocks and little critters.  We even got a gargoyle and little magical door that we pushed up against a hill (so Hobbitty...) It was harder than I thought it would be to arrange everything the way I wanted- I cant's imagine how people do it in containers with very narrow openings. This one was a lot of fun to make and we're both pretty happy with it...now the challenge it keeping it healthy and thriving!
Our Jar
Arial view- good shot of badger!
Magic door- fox and badger stand-off
Melvin the gargoyle! 

3 comments:

  1. So are there any living little critters in there? Newts, frogs, etc? We had a terrarium in my classroom when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade and I remember it fondly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No- nothings actually living. It's a sealed terrarium, so I don't think there would be enough air. Maybe if we do another one we'll use an old aquarium tank- but even then I don't know if we'll put any live critters in it. I think the kitties would work endlessly to get at them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we should totally get some critters and beasts, even, to live in the second terrarium. And don't worry about the kitties -- I will make a Scarecat!

    ReplyDelete